Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The End is Near ...

Today has been a rough day for the family. The day started off with dad being transported to get chemo. When we got there, a miscommunication had been made and dad was to early for his chemo. He is not strong enough to be transported more than twice a day, so we were left waiting for his cancer to figure out what to do next. When the cancer doctor arrived, dad told him he was tired and couldn't fight anymore. Dad has been fighting this cancer so hard these past 8 weeks and his body just can't keep up with the demands of fighting such a tough cancer. After checking dad's lab work, the doctor told us that cancer treatments right now are not an option. While doing chemo or other such treatments would help shrink the cancer, the chances of completely getting all of it out were slim to none. Also, the chance of the cancer coming back was very. He also hinted that dad's cancer had spread. After finding out all of this, dad stuck with his decision to be put in a hospice ... and that is where we are today. All of our family that is in town was at the hospice tonight along with some very close friends of our family. A lot of tears have been shed today, but also some laughs as we remembered all of the good and funny moments we all shared with dad. While we do not know how much longer he has, we are cherishing these last few days we have with him. I am going to miss my dad more than I words can explain. I could not have asked for a better dad. He always pushed me to do my best with whatever endeavors I take on. He supported me in every decision I made. He always had our families best interest at heart. Although dad may no longer be with us soon, his spirit will continue on in the many people's lives that he has touched. He is a very special man and I am going to miss him dearly. Thank you for all of your love, support, and prayers. My family can definitely feel all of your abounding love and are truly grateful for it.

4 comments:

  1. Amy, I am so sorry you and the family has to go thru this... I knew Benny had been sick before and then learned it came back from one of your blogs.. Benny is such a great guy. I remember him always Smiling and seemed so very happy.. He had to fight this terrible fight and he has made up his mind to stop fighting now... He loves and has always loved you guys, anyone could see that... My thoughts and prayers are with all of you guys.. I am going to call mom tomorrow.. Again, I am so sorry..... Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry Amy. I only met your dad once or twice, but I can tell he is a wonderful man. I hope your family can find peace during this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear the news. He was an incredible man and always a pleasure to be around. We love you and prayers with you. Know you are never alone and He is always there for you and knows your heart's desires.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so strong. I love how close your family is to one another. Hang tough. Much love, jen.

    ReplyDelete